Friday 17 June 2016

The Amway Religion

Back in 2002, I almost got caught up in Amway.  I met with these people who promised me some amazing things.  I went around to their house to hear of this wonderful job opportunity.  They sat me down and my first question was, "What's the job?"  They said they'd explain all that to me, but first they just want to talk about some things, and went on to say stuff like, "Wouldn't it be wonderful to wake up in the morning and stroll out to the golf course without worrying about money?  Wouldn't it be wonderful to receive an unexpected bill in the mail and happily write a check to pay it?"  This sounded pretty good to me, so I asked once again, what is the actual job?  And again they said it would all be explained at the seminar the following week.  They gave me a motivational book and some cassette tapes to listen to.

The following week, I went to the seminar.  I learnt nothing about Amway, but I heard how amazing it was to not have to worry about money, not have to go to work and to have your dream car, dream home etc.  I also heard a few success stories of other people who were part of Amway.  After the seminar, I asked again what the actual job was, and they changed the subject back to the seminar.

A week later, I went to the second seminar, hearing all the same motivational jargon.  After the seminar, I told the guy trying to get me into Amway that I don't think Amway is for me and I'll just leave it thanks.  He replied with something I'll never forget.  He said, "I think you're losing the faith in Amway and you just need to listen to the tapes, read the book and come to more meetings."

Have a think about this.  Listen to the tapes, read the book and come to more meetings, then you'll regain faith.  Sounds a little like how religion works, does it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment